Other times Rotherham were robbed by the referee

Tim Robinson etched his name on to the Millers blacklist on Saturday with his shocking performance in the South Yorkshire derby at Sheffield Wednesday.

Robinson inexplicably ruled out a first-half goal and then handed Wednesday the softest of penalties in injury time before sending Richard Wood.

It was one of the most unjust afternoon’s in recent memory, so to get your blood boiling even more, here’s a look at some others in the last 15 years.

Christian Negouai’s handball Manchester City  2 Rotherham 1 (24/11/2001)

Rotherham were up against it enough in Division One in the 2001-02 season going to the likes of Manchester City, without being cheated in the manner they were at Maine Road.

Threatening to bust a country’s coupon, Ronnie Moore’s men were holding their own against City, who ended up being runaway champions, and went ahead through Chris Swailes’ header midway through the first half.

It looked as if they would hold on until half-time until Christian Negouai – and referee Mike Fletcher – got involved.

After a corner was cleared, a second delivery came back in and as goalkeeper Mike Pollitt came to punch it, Negouai outrageously led with an outstretched arm and punched the ball into the net.

The Millers went crazy, with Rob Scott getting a yellow card for his protests, but the goal stood and it gave City all of the momentum going into the second half.

But the Millers stood firm and put in a fine display, until they were undone in the 88th minute when Ali Bernabia’s 20-yard shot was deflected and looped past Pollitt to break their hearts.

Pollitt’s unjust red – Derby County 3 Rotherham 0 (01/02/2003)

Keeper Pollitt was one of the Millers’ stellar performers in their four-year stay in the second tier in the early 2000s so when he was dismissed 13 minutes into a visit to Derby County a long afternoon was on the cards.

However, the manner of the dismissal was so unjust that when Millers fans saw replays of it at half-time on TV in the concourse, they caused major unrest, taking their anger out on toilet seats and other facilities in Pride Park.

Premier League ref Steve Dunn was the man with the whistle and between him and his linesman, they inexplicably ruled that Pollitt had collected a ball outside the area when the whole ground could see it was well inside.

Pollitt saw red and to make matters worse Georgi Kinkladze curled the resulting free-kick in.

Further goals from Adam Bolder and Izale McLeod meant it was an afternoon to forget for the Millers, with boss Ronnie Moore calling for television replays to be introduced after the Millers were denied justice.

Trevor Kettle gets the blood boiling – Barnsley 1 Rotherham 1 (19/11/2005)

Where to start with this one! Trevor Kettle’s refereeing display in the 1-1 draw with Barnsley was the ultimate in poor officiating and over 10 years on, it is impossible to forgive the Rutland official. We unearthed some painful memories ahead of the Oakwell clash in August, so we are going to keep this brief.

With Rotherham struggling in League One the last thing they needed was Kettle to put on a show like this.

After Shaun Barker had put the Millers ahead, the referee stepped into the limelight. He sent Deon Burton and Lee Williamson off in the second half, both for two yellow cards when the second offence was non-existent.

Then before the end of the game, Kettle sent boss Mick Harford to the stands before the most painful decision came. Deep into added time Steven Watt’s effort for Barnsley was adjudged to have crossed the line when barely any home player was claiming a goal, robbing the Millers of two crucial points.

To make matters worse, skipper Colin Murdock was sent off after the full-time whistle for telling Kettle what he thought of his performance.

Morgan gets the D – Rotherham 1 Coventry City 3 (01/01/2014)

Craig Morgan’s red card on the opening day of 2014 was so bad that boss Steve Evans came into his post-match press conference armed with a laptop to show everyone just how wrong referee Gary Sutton got it.

The Millers were on course for a New Year’s Day treat as they were beating the Sky Blues 1-0 until the decisive period of play.

Callum Wilson was sent through on goal and as he was chased by Morgan, he was clipped, clearly in the D and went tumbling.

Sutton correctly sent Morgan off, as it was a clear goalscoring opportunity, and originally awarded a free-kick on the edge of the box, but after consultation with his linesman he exasperatingly changed his mind and gave Coventry a penalty.

Carl Baker scored from the spot and Steven Pressley’s men went on to win the game 3-1, though not after the Millers missed an injury time penalty to make it 2-2.

Evans was so aghast after the game that he demanded the linesman never to be allowed to officiate again.




.entry-meta-comments { display: none; }