The latest on Rotherham’s pursuit of Marek Rodak, according to boss Paul Warne

Rotherham boss Paul Warne hopes to have Marek Rodak back at the club in time for Wednesday’s friendly with Cardiff.

The goalkeeper’s potential loan return to the Millers has been delayed due to a changing situation at his parent club Fulham.

Warne had hoped to have the Slovakia Under-21 international back in time for the start of pre-season but David Button’s move to Brighton and an injury to Marcus Bettinelli prevented that.


The Premier League new boys are reported to be closing in on a new goalkeeper, which would see Rodak be able to head back to the AESSEAL New York Stadium.

Warne is prepared to be flexible in his wait for Rodak, but will not hang around forever.

“I believe I am pretty close but I have believed I’ve been pretty close for a few weeks now,” the boss said.

View this post on Instagram

One for the #GKUnion 👐 #rufc

A post shared by Rotherham United (@officialrufc) on

“I am not going to say the name, but you don’t have to be a rocket scientist to work out who I am after. I have got two other ones I really like as well.

“We’re getting to the stage now where I need it finalised one way or the other, I think we have been really patient but all three I am looking at are loans so I have to be respectful of their parent clubs’ situation.

“I am really hopeful that will be done for the Cardiff game.


“There is no deadline as such but because you really want your number one target you are a little bit more flexible.

“What I wouldn’t want to do, if I was signing Peter Shilton, say no to him at 12 o’clock because it wasn’t agreed and then get a phone call at 3 o’clock to say I could have him, I would be like, ‘Oh my god’.

“We are speaking to the club on a daily basis, but realistically if it doesn’t happen next week, I can’t have a goalkeeper come in and not have at least a week’s training with the team.

“I could have two centre-halves who have never played with a goalkeeper, which is lunacy, I honestly think that if it’s not happened by next week or I feel it’s not going to happen, I will sign somebody else.”




.entry-meta-comments { display: none; }